A fine way to start 2010:
1. Realizing today is a palindrome (01022010).
2. Discovering that I’m a Beautiful Blogger.
Thanks to sojourness at Sojourner’s Truths.
A few directives come with this award:
1) Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2) Copy the award & place it on your blog.
3) Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4) Share 7 interesting things about yourself.
5) Nominate 7 bloggers with links to their blogs.
Merrily I comply.
subtext: Now, in a world where everyone and their dog has a blog, this still feels sorta special, not chain letter-y. Who isn’t delighted to discover a previously unknown reader who finds my blog not only interesting enough to read herself, but also to recommend to others. Cheers to her, cheers to sharing.
Interesting tid-bits about me:
1. It took me two whole years (and countless unfortunate partners’ toes) to learn how to do the Texas Two-step. The fact that it’s actually 2.5 steps makes me feel somewhat better. And now that I’ve got it, I feel equipped for just about any organized dance moves.
2. I cut my own hair (and J’s too.) I’ve only dyed my hair once, which was the result of a mid-20’s identity crisis.
3. I’m completely obsessed with the idea of moving to Mexico City; the surrounding burbs, like Coyoacan, enchanted the pants off me a couple years ago and I can’t seem to shake it.
4. I’m a firm believer in half & half in my coffee. New York’s tradition of milk in coffee deeply disturbs me. Color and consistency are major factors that affect my morning well-being. (I think fat is not the enemy in our diets.)
5. I was a competitive swimmer for 14 years, starting at age 8.
6. I gave up vegetarianism in Italy when I met a plate of un-American (non-industrial) meats. Goodbye vegeterrorism. Hello to eating animals who eat what they are meant to eat.
7. We moved a lot when I was young. I went to four high schools, two middle schools and one elementary school. Needless to say, shyness is no longer in my vocabulary.
As for my nominees…
subtext: I just discovered Google Reader, hence my novice blog-reading skills render me somewhat useless in pointing out the “new, exciting and/or captivating” blog scene; however, I’ll give it my best shot:
1. the mysterious Natalie at Gluten Free Mommy. Ok, she’s not new, nor exciting (as of late) really. She’s actually disappeared from the blog scene and I desperately want more muffin recipes, cakes and breads. I modify the hell out of her existing (totally fabulous) recipes and consistently trick gluten-eaters with my gluten-free sweets. If you know her please ask her to return to the blogosphere.
2. the jammin’ tigress in a jam. Her photos remind me why I’m obsessed with mason jars and everything that goes in them. She does pickles too, but I’ve yet to cross the brining boundaries.
3. the hilarious Zora at Roving Gastronome. She’s all over the scene with food that regular humans can make and how to laugh at yourself when things don’t go as planned.
4. the all-knowing Kate at the Minimalista. She’s the expert on all things glamour—Brit spelling intended—and lady-like stuff I strive for (and often omit) in my self-presentation regime.
5. Marisa at Food in Jars. She’s got a plethora of canning resources, pretty pictures and good ideas.
6. Giovanna at Swoon. It looks like she just did one of these chain-letter-y awards, though. Ah, well.
7. Stacey at Nifty Living. Her links and feeds (on the blog) are pillows, and she shares her tools.
Thanks y’all for being beautiful in your own ways.